Friday, October 26, 2012

Roman Weekend

I'm finally done with midterms - now it's time to relax and recap the last week! Last Friday I trekked to Rome with my High Renaissance Art History class. We had three full 12 hour days of seeing art, going to churches, museums, villas, and seeing everything else Rome has to offer. When I say there is very little of Rome we didn't see on this trip, I am not exaggerating.. Our professor had us speed walking everywhere, barely having time to stop for bathroom breaks or for lunch. A lot of what we saw I had seen when I was in Rome with my mom last summer, so it was especially fun to revisit those places.

I was so excited that I got to see the Vatican museums and the Sistine Chapel for a second time, as well as one of my favorite museums, the Borghese Gallery, with its beautiful green gardens surrounding the villa. The Bernini sculptures in the Borghese are some of my favorite art works of all time, especially his Apollo and Daphne piece. On Saturday night we went out to an amazing restaurant near our hotel in the Campo dei Fiori, where Caesar was supposedly assassinated.. I had a pear and pistachio ravioli that was absolutely incredible. For dessert we had the house special, Nutella tiramisu... enough said. It was to die for.

Here are some pictures that can better describe what we did and everything we saw:






The Italian Flag - abstract?

Belvedere Torso

Spanish Steps at Night

Villa d'Este




Hadrian's Villa

No comments:

Post a Comment