Monday, September 10, 2012

Il Dolce Far Niente

(The Art of Doing Nothing) Sundays in Florence are officially my favorite day of the week. I slept in late and woke up to a city at rest. The central market and most of the shops are closed, and tourists seem to be elsewhere, which makes for a peaceful and lazy day. My roommates and I wandered over the bridge to the other side of the river to our now frequent stopping ground, the piazza of Santo Spirito. We have found that is where most of the locals hangout both day and night, and many speak only Italian which is refreshing because it allows me to work on what very little Italian I know. We stumbled upon a Sunday market that happens only once a month on the second Sunday of the month. You can buy anything from dried fruit to jams and spreads, as well as antique furniture, jewelry, vintage clothes, used designer bags and much more. I bought my first item of the trip, a long gold chain necklace with turquoise accents that I'm absolutely obsessed with. We wandered around for the rest of the day, window shopping in the closed stores and enjoying the slower pace of the city on Sundays. We went back to Santo Spirito square for dinner at Volume, a cozy bar where you pay 5 euro for any drink and you get all you can eat free appetizers. This might have been my favorite meal of my trip so far, because we got to try different breads, cheeses, spreads, veggies, and they had my favorite: artichokes. It was such a deal I couldn't believe it, and I'm seriously considering opening a place like that in Denver...





No comments:

Post a Comment